Having Monday and Friday off work is the perfect way to break the week up to my mind. This week has been the first in ages that I've had the time to myself. I've been trying hard to use the time to get some much needed repairs done around the house. Not that I can tackle the leaky roof or holes in ceilings on my own, but I'm a dab hand with a brush, hammer or needle.
I have three of the 1930's chairs from my aunt and uncles house in our dining room.. Sadly we just couldn't squeeze in the table so that had to go. I've already taken the plunge and painted one blue. I love it, but know my dad would be horrified. Each time I covered something else in paint he would shake his head and ask how could I cover up perfectly good wood. Well two answers there, sometimes just because I like colour more than I like brown and sometimes because the said object looked hideous unpainted. To be honest these chairs look lovely in their natural state too, which is why I've not set to on the others - yet. The original seats are leather, but as I desire something with a bit more cheer I've always recovered them. As the last covers were absolutely filthy, I got out the nails hammer and a new/old sheet and off I went. One job done off a very very long list.
Lily slept through all the banging in of nails and woke up just as I got my crochet out. Rather than actually finishing anything else I've been distracted once again by a new thing. Inside Crochet has some fabulous patterns most of which grab my interest in a way that Simply Crochet never has. When I saw the Dahlia Stole I was smitten. I was instantly drawn to the gorgeous mix of colours and the swirliness of the stitches.
I'm using slightly different colours as I'm using what I have rather than buying yet more yarn. Although the more I look at the green, orange and lilac shades in the original I realise it's these colours that have drawn me in the most.
I have had a fiddle with another spot of crochet recently. While Miss Rosey and I watched Miss Marple on Sunday evening I fancied having a try at making up some yarny versions of anenomes to go with my felt ones. Looking at these pictures I realise I need to scale down the black middles which looked ok to me at the time. All in all though I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out so far.
Final shot goes to Little Bun's moment of pride with her first ever cherry cake which was delicious.
Now I'm off to see if I can squeeze some sewing time in before the inevitable chores beckon me.