We definately need more quilts and blankets if we're going to be making indoor tents and trying to keep warm this summer. The Bun's found a few to hide under and I've started another quilt to add to the patchy quilt pile.
I wanted to make the new quilt as quick and easy as possible even though I'm feeling tempted by all sorts of new shapes I've not tried out yet.
I gathered together all of my favourite sunny day fabrics and chopped a pile of 8" x 10" rectangles. I randomly measured the size by making it as long as me and and wide enough to have a generous overhang over my body. Basically I just jumped in and hoped for the best with the measurements.
In the middle of choosing where I wanted to put all the pieces I found an old bag I'd made years ago. I'd lined the bag with the lovely apple green and blue fabric which I wanted much more than I wanted the bag so I chopped into it for more blocks for my quilt.
Instead of worrying about trying to get all my pieces lined up in orderly and neat rows, I decided to lay them side by side like a brickwall
Once I'd made sure all the top bits were straight I needed to add a few bits to the spaces left at the bottom,
Last night I quickly whizzed a few rows together on my machine. Then later on I realised I'd got the numbers the wrong way round. What a div hey. So I had tons of fun watching telly and unpicking all the rows I'd stitched.
Today was far more fun than last nights unpicking. I went to see a friend this morning who's very creative, talented and has oodles of style, plus tons of things I naughtily covet. Alongside a lovely chat and a tour of the new sewing room (which I wouldn't leave if it was mine) we did a wee fabric swap. I'd taken over a couple of bits I knew she wanted and I ooohed and aaahed at loads I liked.
For my two pieces I had a barkcloth curtain panel and a piece of blue sheeting in return.
The floral curtain is divine. Soft and oh so pretty. The sheeting is exactly how I like it with intense colours that haven't faded away over the years. Before I find a use for them I'll just add them to the pile and watch them. As soon as I know they're right for something they'll get off that pile as quick as you like.
While the Bun's tea cooked itself, I managed to stitch all the rows of the Sunny Days Quilt together in the right order this time.
That's the top done. Now I just need to get some batting and then I can get on with the slow, but worth it job of handquilting the top with a rainbow of coloured floss.
Tommorow will be a juggle between an all day school sports day and a pot of paint I bought to sort out our bedroom. So the quilt will have to wait patiently as once I start painting there's no stopping me. It's my first few days off in a row with no kids around since way before christmas so I'm determined to get loads done.
See you very soon. Hello also to new followers who have jumped on board.